Here’s how to make the best potato salad recipe! This American-style version is creamy and classic: just like Grandma’s.
- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes*
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3 large celery stalks
- 5 green onions, thinly sliced (both white and green portions)
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish (or chopped dill pickles)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard (or 2 yellow and 1 tablespoon Dijon)
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- Boil the potatoes: Quarter the potatoes, keeping the skins on. Place them in a large saucepan filled with cold water. Bring it to a boil and cook for 8 to 12 minutes until tender when pricked with a fork. Drain and rinse the potatoes under cold water. Allow to cool slightly, then peel the skins off with your fingers and cut the potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Place the potatoes into a bowl and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the white wine vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon of the kosher salt. Mix and let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prep the salad: Slice the celery stalks in half lengthwise, then thinly slice them. Thinly slice the green onions. Mince the red onion. Chop the dill.
- In a large bowl, mix the mayonnaise, Greek yogurt or sour cream, yellow mustard, Dijon mustard, celery seed, 1 tablespoon of the white wine vinegar, 3/4 of the teaspoon kosher salt, and plenty of fresh ground pepper. Add the potatoes, celery, green onion, red onion, and sweet pickle relish and stir until fully combined. For best results, chill 2 hours before serving. Stores 5 days refrigerated.
*The variety here is important: use Yukon gold or gold potatoes for best results.
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Boiled
- Cuisine: Salad
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Potato salad, potato salad recipe, best potato salad recipe, how to make potato salad