Here’s how to make a portobello mushroom burger that everyone loves: grilled or roasted! Savory and meaty, it’s irresistible with cheese and special sauce.
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 8 slices provolone or sharp cheddar cheese (or substitute vegan cheese)
- For serving: Buns, lettuce, tomato, red onion, Basil Pesto (optional), Special Burger Sauce
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat (375 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit) or preheat an oven to 450 degrees*.
- Clean the portobello mushrooms and remove the stems. Place them on a baking sheet gill side up. Drizzle the tops the olive oil and use your hands to rub on the bottoms. Then place them back on the sheet gill side up and sprinkle with garlic powder, smoked paprika, kosher salt and several grinds of black pepper. Rub them until evenly coated.
- For the grilled method: Place the mushrooms directly on the grates gill side up, and grill 10 to 14 minutes until tender and juicy. Liquid will pool in the cap. Flip the mushrooms (this drains the liquid into the grates). Then top with the add cheese slices and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes until melted. Tip: Step up your burger and grill the burger buns for about 1 minute on one side until lightly toasted!
- For the roasted method: Place the baking sheet in the oven and roast for 15 minutes until tender. Drain of any excess liquid, then top with cheese and roast another 1 minute until the cheese melts.
- Serve: Place the mushrooms on buns. Top with lettuce, tomato, red onion, basil pesto (optional), and Special Burger Sauce.
*If you want to infuse a little smoky flavor to the roasted version, add a few shakes of liquid smoke to each mushroom (it’s potent, so don’t overdo it).
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Grilled or Roasted
- Cuisine: American