Here’s how to make pickled garlic! Pickling mellows its flavor to be sweet and tangy, perfect for snacking or using in recipes.
- 1 cup garlic cloves (2 to 3 heads garlic)
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon dry dill
- Pinch red pepper flakes, optional
- Wash a half-pint mason jar and and its lid in hot soapy water. Then rinse and let air dry.
- Cut off the ends of each garlic clove, then place all the cloves into a small container. Cover and shake it vigorously, which loosens all the peels at once. Cut any large cloves in half, or slice them all in half if you prefer smaller pickles.
- In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a rapid bubble and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Spoon the garlic from the saucepan into the jar, then carefully pour in the hot brine. Tap the jar on the counter to release any air bubbles. Discard any remaining brine.
- Screw on the lid tightly and allow to cool to room temperature (about 1 hour). Refrigerate for 24 hours. Stores up to 1 month refrigerated.
- Category: Essentials
- Method: Pickled
- Cuisine: Pickles
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Pickled garlic