The best recipes are the simplest. Pesto pasta with homemade basil pesto, ripe cherry tomatoes and a splash of cream? Perfection.
- 8 ounces bucatini pasta (or spaghetti)*
- 1/2 cup homemade Best Basil Pesto, Vegan Cashew Pesto, Cashew Pesto, or Walnut Pesto (or purchased pesto)
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream (for vegan, substitute 2 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons pasta water)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Make the pesto: Best Basil Pesto, Vegan Cashew Pesto, Cashew Pesto, or Walnut Pesto.
- Heat a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, checking for doneness a few minutes before the package instructions indicate (the pasta should be tender but still slightly firm).
- When the pasta is done, drain it and return it to the pot. Add the pesto, heavy cream, sliced cherry tomatoes and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and stir. Taste and add additional salt if needed (the exact amount depends on the pesto and your pasta water, so it will vary — salt until the flavor pops!). If you’d like it to be a looser sauce, you could also stir in a splash of reserved pasta water or hot water. Serve immediately.
*This quantity makes 3 to 4 modest servings, so you may need to double based on your eaters hunger level.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Pesto pasta, Best pesto pasta, Basil pesto pasta, Pesto sauce pasta