A swirl of basil pesto brings so much flavor to this classic comfort food! This pesto mac and cheese features Havarti cheese for ultra creaminess.
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni or other short pasta shape (we used gigli pasta)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk at room temperature
- 2 cups shredded Havarti or mozzarella cheese (8 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons Basil Pesto or store bought basil pesto
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook just until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and whisk in the flour to create a paste. Add the milk and whisk until smooth. Increase the heat to medium and continue whisking until the sauce starts to thicken, about 2 minutes. Stir in the shredded cheese and continue stirring until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth. Fold in the pesto.
- Add the pasta, stirring to combine, and cook just until the pasta is warmed through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Reprinted with permission from Two Peas and Their Pod Cookbook by Maria Lichty
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Pesto Mac and Cheese, Mac and Cheese, Kid Friendly, Comfort Food Recipes, Havarti Mac and Cheese