Welcome to the surprise that is roasted fennel! Baking it in a hot oven makes it sweet and caramelized: nothing like its raw flavor.
- 4 large fennel bulbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (less if small fennel bulbs
- 2 lemon wedges
- Preheat an oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the fennel into wedges. Remove the top stalks, bottom root, and tough, thick outer layers as shown in the video (you may need to remove a few outer layers, which is ok). Then cut the remaining bulb in half and then into about 1 inch wedges.
- In a medium bowl, mix the fennel with the olive oil and kosher salt. Place it in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, until browned and very tender (no need to stir).
- Remove from the oven and gently toss with the juice of two lemon wedges. Taste and adjust salt or lemon as desired. Serve immediately. Leftovers can be refrigerated for several days and reheated in a 350 degree oven until warmed through.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Roasted
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Roasted fennel, Fennel recipe