This pear salad recipe is full of contrasts, with gorgonzola, toasted pecans, and a tangy poppy seed dressing. It’s a showstopper!
For the pear salad
- 1 ripe pear
- 1 shallot
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 8 cups mixed baby greens
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/3 cup gorgonzola cheese crumbles (or feta cheese or goat cheese; omit for vegan)
For the dressing (makes 3/4 cup; use approximately 6 tablespoons for 4 servings)
- Make the dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, white vinegar, dry mustard, onion flakes, and kosher salt. Gradually whisk in the grapeseed oil about 1 tablespoon at a time until a creamy emulsion forms. Whisk in the poppy seeds. Serve immediately or store in a sealed container or jar until serving (allow to come to room temperature if refrigerated).
- Prep the fresh ingredients: Slice the pear into thin slices. Thinly slice the shallot. See How to Cut a Pomegranate for instructions on removing pomegranate seeds.
- If time, toast the pecans: Place the nuts in a dry skillet (no oil) over medium heat. Heat, shaking the pan and stirring often with a wooden spoon, until the nuts are fragrant and slightly darker brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Stay at the stove because the nuts can easily burn! Remove immediately from the heat and transfer to a plate to stop the cooking.
- Serve: Place the greens on a plate or platter. Top with the pear slices, shallot, toasted pecans, pomegranate seeds, and gorgonzola cheese crumbles. Drizzle with the desired amount of dressing and serve (use approximately 6 tablespoons for 4 servings; store the remaining dressing refrigerated).
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Fresh
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Pear salad, pear salad recipe