Here’s how to make peanut butter at home! It’s so easy and results in a creamy, all natural spread with no sugar added.
- 2 cups roasted unsalted peanuts*
- Kosher salt to taste (about 1/8 teaspoon)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread the nuts out onto a rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 8 to 10 minutes, until fragrant and toasted. Allow to cool for 2 to 3 minutes on tray.
- Immediately add the nuts to food processor while they’re warm and process for 4 minutes.** You’ll see them start out crumbly, then get gradually creamier and creamier.
- Add the kosher salt to taste (we used between 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon using unsalted peanuts). Process for 2 minutes more until luxuriously creamy. Taste and add additional salt as necessary.
- Transfer the peanut butter to a jar. Store in a cool dark place (pantry) for 1 month or refrigerated for 2 to 3 months.
*Doubles easily, so feel free to do 4 cups to make a large-sized peanut butter jar. You can also use salted peanuts and salt to taste at the end.
**If after several minutes of processing the nuts are very dry and crumbly and not becoming creamy, you can add up to 1 tablespoon of neutral oil like grapeseed or canola while processing. We’ve never needed to do this; it can depend on the age of the nuts.
- Category: Snack
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: Snack
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Peanut butter recipes, Peanut butter recipe