This classic Italian pasta puttanesca recipe features garlic, capers and olives in the sauce to give it a tangy burst of flavor.
- 1 pound long pasta noodles (spaghetti, bucatini, etc)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste or 3 anchovy fillets (omit for vegetarian or vegan)
- 32-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup capers
- Parsley, Parmesan cheese, and red pepper flakes, for garnish (omit cheese for vegan)
- Bring a large pot of of salted water to a boil (about 1 tablespoon kosher salt). Boil the pasta until al dente.
- Meanwhile, mince the garlic. If the olives are not sliced, slice them in half. In a separate large pot or saucepan, warm the olive oil over medium low heat. Add the garlic and anchovy paste and cook until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, red pepper flakes, and kosher salt, and simmer for 10 minutes over low heat.
- Add the olives and capers to the tomato sauce. Continue to simmer until the pasta is done.
- Drain the pasta and stir it into the tomato sauce. Serve garnished with Parmesan cheese and finely chopped parsley, and additional red pepper flakes to taste.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: puttanesca recipe, pasta puttanesca, vegetarian pasta recipe