Here’s a quick and easy Parmesan cream sauce that makes pasta taste simply divine! It uses just a ingredients you might already have on hand.
- 1 tablespoon salted butter* (double all ingredients to serve with 1 pound pasta)
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Measure out all ingredients in advance; the cooking process happens fast! If serving with pasta, cook 8 ounces pasta while you make the sauce.
- In a small or medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the grated garlic and cook 30 seconds until fragrant but not browned.
- Add the flour and whisk constantly for 1 minute to 90 seconds, until bubbly and golden. Do not overcook it: the flour can turn brown within a few seconds. Keep an eye on it!
- Add a splash of milk and whisk it in: the sauce will instantly turn chunky. Constantly whisking, continue to add splashes of milk and whisk them in until the entire quantity is incorporated and the sauce is smooth.
- Reduce the heat and whisk until the sauce thickens and no longer tastes like raw flour, about 5 minutes. Add the salt and Parmesan cheese. Taste and add a pinch or two more salt if desired.
- If serving with pasta, drain the pasta, then add the sauce. Add a splash or two of milk to loosen the sauce and come to just the right creamy consistency. Taste and a few more pinches of salt, if necessary. (The sauce is best freshly made, so we don’t recommend making it in advance).
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Parmesan cream sauce