These homemade hash browns are baked in the oven until they’re perfectly crispy! It’s an easy hands-off method that tastes incredible.
- 4 medium russet potatoes (2 pounds)*
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat an oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grate and quick soak the potatoes: Wash the potatoes, leaving the skins on. Use the large side of a box grater or a food processor large grating blade to grate the potatoes. Place the grated potatoes into a large bowl and fill it with cold water. Tip the bowl to drain off starchy water, then fill it again. Stir the potatoes to release starches, then soak them for 2 minutes.
- Drain and season the potatoes: Drain the grated potatoes into a strainer, and squeeze fistfulls to remove as much liquid as possible. Place the potatoes in a bowl and stir with the olive oil, kosher salt, garlic powder and ground black pepper.
- Cook the potatoes: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or brush it with olive oil. Add potatoes in single layer. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes without stirring until browned and crispy on the bottom and cooked through (the exact timing depends on your oven). Scoop off of the sheet with a spatula and serve.
*If you’re cooking for a crowd, you can double this recipe and roast 2 pans at once. Make sure to switch the pan racks halfway through for the most even cooking. You’ll also need to cook them a few more minutes to get them crispy (because adding surface area decreases the airflow).
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Hash browns in oven, baked hash browns, homemade hash browns