The best margarita recipe! Here’s how to make a classic margarita on the rocks with 3 simple ingredients: lime, Cointreau and tequila (no added sugar!).
- 1 1/2 ounces tequila blanco or reposado
- 1 ounce orange liqueur: Cointreau, Grand Marnier, or high quality Triple Sec or Orange Curacao*
- 3/4 ounce (1 1/2 tablespoons) fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt or flaky sea salt, for the rim
- For the garnish: Lime wedge
- Cut a notch in a lime wedge, then run the lime around the rim of a glass. Dip the edge of the rim into a plate of salt (or for a festive look, use our Margarita Salt).
- Place all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with 4 ice cubes and shake until cold.
- Strain the margarita into the glass with the salted rim. Fill the glass with ice and serve.
*Look for the highest quality Triple Sec or Orange Curacao you can find (go for a mid-priced or higher priced option). The best everyday option is Cointreau, which is used in many other cocktails. Or for a high-end option use Grand Marnier, a top shelf blend of Cognac and Triple Sec.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Shaken
- Cuisine: Cocktails
Keywords: Orange Liqueur