This olive tapenade recipe is a simple appetizer full of bold, briny flavor! Serve this French spread with bread or on crostini.
- 3/4 cup ripe black olives, pitted*
- 3/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste (optional for vegan**)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and sliced into a few pieces
- 1 small handful fresh parsley (or fresh basil or thyme)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Place the olives, capers, anchovy paste, garlic, and parsley in a food processor. Pulse until roughly chopped. Scrape down the bowl. Then turn on the processor and drizzle in the olive oil until a chunky paste forms.
- Eat immediately or store up to 2 weeks refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before serving.
*We like using a mixture of olives for a robust flavor. Look for ripe black olives, which have a more subtle, rounder flavor to balance the salty Kalamatas. If you can’t find them you can use all Kalamata olives, but it makes an even saltier spread.
**If you leave out the anchovy paste, you can add salt to taste: but tapenade may be salty enough as is depending on the olives you use. Or, add 2 tablespoons sundried tomatoes to the mix.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Blended
- Cuisine: French inspired
- Diet: Gluten Free
Keywords: Tapenade, olive tapenade, olive tapenade recipe, tapenade recipe