This master oatmeal recipe shows how to make it on the stovetop or microwave! It’s easy to make this wholesome breakfast.
For stovetop oatmeal (4 servings):
- 2 cups Old Fashioned rolled oats
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Optional: 1 tablespoon maple syrup
For microwave oatmeal (1 serving):
- 1/2 cup Old Fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Stovetop oatmeal: Bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan. Stir in the oats, salt and cinnamon. Reduce the heat to medium. Cook for about 6 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until creamy and the liquid is mostly absorbed. Remove from the heat and let stand for 2 minutes, which allows more liquid to be absorbed (or you can spoon into bowls and then rest).
- Microwave oatmeal: Place the ingredients in a microwave safe bowl with tall sides. Microwave on High for 2 minutes (if there is still a good amount of liquid, cook 10 to 20 more seconds). Stir and allow to stand for 2 minutes to allow the liquid to be absorbed. (For a double recipe, double ingredients and microwave 3.5 minutes.)
- Top with a drizzle of maple syrup, milk, and additional toppings as desired. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Breakfast
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Oatmeal recipe, how to make oatmeal