Here’s how to make nut butter at home! It’s easy to make, saves money, and comes out creamy and delicious. You can use any nuts you have on hand!
- 2 cups raw nuts of any kind (or 1/3 each almonds, cashews and walnuts)*
- Kosher salt to taste**
- Grapeseed or canola oil, as necessary (1 tablespoon)
- Optional add in: Toasted coconut
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread the nuts out onto a rimmed baking sheet. Toast for 20 to 25 minutes, until fragrant and toasted. Allow to cool 2 to 3 minutes on tray.
- Add to food processor while warm and process 4 to 12 minutes until creamy, scraping down the sides as necessary (the exact timing depends on your food processor and the age and type of the nuts). If at several minutes the nuts are very dry and crumbly, add up to a tablespoon of oil while processing.
- When creamy, add kosher salt to taste (we add 1/4 teaspoon for unsalted nuts). Move the nut butter to a jar and store refrigerated for up to 4 weeks.
*You can use any nuts; we used about 1/3 each raw walnuts, almonds and cashews. If some of the nuts you have on hand are already roasted, add them to the baking sheet in the last few minutes (or bake them just a few minutes), since heating them helps with the blending. **The amount of salt will add based on the nuts you have on hand. If you use salted nuts, taste and add enough so the flavor pops. We use 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt with unsalted nuts.
- Category: Essentials
- Method: Blended
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: Nut Butter