This muffin recipe comes out moist, fluffy and lightly sweet! It’s perfect plain or for adding mix-ins of your choice.
- 2 cups [280 g] all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup* [150 g] granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or yogurt)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Turbinado sugar, for topping (or substitute more granulated sugar)
- For the mix-ins: 1 cup blueberries,
3/4 cup pecan pieces, etc
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a standard 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray or add muffin cup papers.
- In a large bowl, whisk the all-purpose flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt. If using mix ins, stir them into the dry ingredients with a spatula.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk the eggs, then whisk in the sour cream or yogurt, vegetable oil, milk, and vanilla extract until smooth. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients with a spatula until a thick, smooth batter forms.
- Scoop the batter evenly into the muffin cups: the cups will be full to the top. Sprinkle the tops with turbinado sugar.
- Bake the muffins for 18 to 20 minutes, until puffed and golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a rack to cool fully, about 1 hour. Eat immediately or they taste even better the next day after storage in a sealed container at room temperature. Store up to 4 days in a sealed container at room temperature, refrigerated up to 1 week or more (allow to come to room temperature before serving), or frozen up to 3 months.
*3/4 cup sugar makes for a lightly sweet muffin. You can use up to 1 cup sugar for a sweeter muffin.
- Category: Muffin
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Muffin
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Muffin, Muffins, Muffin recipe