Mirepoix is a classic mix of celery, carrot and onion used to flavor soups, stews and more! Here’s how to use it in your cooking.
- 1 medium yellow onion (1 1/2 cups small diced or 300 g)
- 2 medium carrots (1 cup small diced or 150 g)
- 2 celery stalks (1 cup small diced or 150 g)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Small dice the vegetables into roughly 1/4-inch pieces.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the vegetables and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, until the celery is tender and the vegetables have released their juices. Adjust the heat so the vegetables sweat but don’t brown.
- Use in recipes as desired. This amount of vegetables works for a pot of soup that makes 4 to 6 servings.