What’s more fun than apple pie? Mini apple pies! These tiny pies have an apple, bourbon and almond filling and are as tasty as they are cute.
- Make the whole wheat pie dough. Use one dough for this recipe; freeze the other half for later use (or make a double recipe of the pies).
- After the dough has rested for 30 minutes in the refrigerator, remove it and allow to start to come to room temperature. Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Peel the apples, core them, and dice them into small pieces. In a bowl, combine the apples with the honey or maple syrup, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and bourbon.
- Butter a muffin tin. Roll out the dough into a thin circle, then cut out 9 circles about 4 inches in diameter, using a bowl or biscuit cutter. Lightly press the dough into the muffin tins.
- In a small bowl, melt butter (in the microwave, or place for a few minutes the preheating oven). Mix together melted butter with the sliced almonds, kosher salt, and cinnamon.
- Using a slotted spoon, scoop the apples into each cup. Then add a spoonful or two of the juice in the bottom of the bowl into the apples (but do not fill the entire cup). Spread the almonds in a thin layer on top of each pie.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Then cover with aluminum foil and bake 10 minutes more. Remove from the oven and let stand in the pan until cool enough to touch (about 15 minutes). Remove the pies from the pan and let cool an additional 15 minutes.
- Storage tip: Freezing these pies works well! Bake as instructed, then freeze in a sealable container. To re-heat, place pies right from the freezer into a 350F oven for about 15 minutes, until warm.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Mini Apple Pies