This Mediterranean pizza is a serious crowd pleaser, starring mozzarella and feta cheese, sundried tomatoes, and fresh basil.
- 1 ball Best Pizza Dough (or Food Processor Dough or Thin Crust Dough)
- 1/3 cup Best Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup packed baby spinach leaves
- 1 handful red onion slices
- 6 Kalamata olives
- 8 sundried tomatoes, packed in oil
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 ounce feta cheese
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- Kosher salt
- Semolina flour or cornmeal, for dusting the pizza peel
- Make the pizza dough: Follow the Best Pizza Dough recipe to prepare the dough. (This takes about 15 minutes to make and 45 minutes to rest.)
- Place a pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 500°F. OR preheat your pizza oven (here’s the pizza oven we use).
- Make the pizza sauce: Make the 5 Minute Pizza Sauce.
- Prepare the toppings: In a small skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the spinach and cook for 2 minutes until wilted but still bright green. Add 1 pinch salt and remove from the heat.
- Thinly slice the red onion. Slice the olives in half. If the sundried tomatoes are large, you can chop them smaller too.
- Bake the pizza: When the oven is ready, dust a pizza peel with cornmeal or semolina flour. (If you don’t have a pizza peel, you can use a rimless baking sheet or the back of a rimmed baking sheet. But a pizza peel is well worth the investment!) Stretch the dough into a circle; see this video for instructions. Then gently place the dough onto the pizza peel.
- Spread the pizza sauce over the dough using the back of a spoon to create a thin layer. Add the shredded mozzarella cheese. Top with the cooked spinach, red onion, olives, sundried tomatoes. and feta cheese.
- Use the pizza peel to carefully transfer the pizza onto the preheated pizza stone. Bake the pizza until the cheese and crust are nicely browned, about 5 to 7 minutes in the oven (or 1 minute in a pizza oven).
- Allow the pizza to cool for a minute or two before adding the basil on top (whole leaves, lightly torn, or thinly sliced). Slice into pieces and serve immediately.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Mediterranean pizza, Homemade pizza, How to make pizza