This kale pomegranate salad is the perfect winter salad recipe, pairing the sweet seeds with an apple cider vinaigrette!
- 2 bunches curly or Tuscan kale
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup pecans
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 apple
- Kosher salt
- Chop the kale into bite-sized pieces and place in bowl.
- Sprinkle the kale with 1 pinch kosher salt. Coat your hands with a few drops of olive oil and massage the kale leaves for 2 to 3 minutes until all pieces are tender.
- In a bowl, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, chili powder, and 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt. Gradually whisk in the olive oil 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Break the pecans into bite-sized pieces and place them in a dry skillet. Toast them over medium heat until fragrant, stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat immediately.
- Remove the seeds from the pomegranate: cut the pomegranate in quarters and place them in a large bowl of water. Under the water, start to gently pull out the seeds with your fingers. Eventually you’ll be able to turn the peel inside out to extract the seeds closest to the outer skin. As you work, the pomegranate seeds will sink to the bottom, while the white pith from the fruit will float to the top. When all of the seeds are extracted, skim off the white pith and strain out the water.
- When ready to serve, julienne the apple by cutting it into matchsticks–or simply chop it into bite-sized pieces. Combine all ingredients and drizzle lightly with the dressing. (Parmesan shavings are also a nice garnish if desired.)
- Category: Salad
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Kale Salad, Massaged Kale Salad, How to Massage Kale, Pomegranate, Kale Pomegranate Salad, Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten Free