Maitake mushrooms have feathered edges and an earthy, peppery flavor! Here’s more about this variety and a tasty recipe for how to cook them.
- 8 ounces maitake mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil (standard, not toasted)
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Sriracha (or 1/4 teaspoon rice vinegar)
- For the garnish: chopped chives or sliced green onions (optional)
- Wash the mushrooms and pat them dry. Use your fingers to pull them into 3-inch pieces. Mince the garlic.
- In a non-stick or cast iron skillet, heat the sesame oil over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 2 minutes. Flip the mushrooms and cook 1 more minute on the other side.
- Add the garlic and cook until softened and fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the soy sauce, Sriracha and salt and cook 1 more minute until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. Serve immediately as a side garnished with sliced chives or green onion tops, or with soba noodles.
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Sauteed
- Cuisine: Mushrooms
Keywords: Maitake mushrooms