These vegetarian lentil tacos feature a homemade taco seasoning that makes for the most flavorful meal! Serve with black beans and rice for a full meal.
- 1 1/4 cups brown lentils (8 ounces)
- 3 1/2 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning mix
- 1 red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ketchup
- 8 to 12 whole grain or corn tortillas
- Toppings of your choice: Lettuce, fresh tomatoes, shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream, or vegan sour cream
- In a medium sauce pan, bring 1 3/4 cups salted water to a boil. Add 1 1/4 cup lentils, cover, and reduce heat. Simmer covered for about 20 to 25 minutes, until most of the water has been absorbed.
- Mix the taco seasonings. Wash and chop the lettuce and fresh tomatoes, if using.
- Finely dice 1 red onion and 2 garlic cloves. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet; add red onion and sauté for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for about 1 minute more.
- Turn off the heat and add the lentils. Stir in 3 1/2 tablespoons of taco seasoning mix and 1 1/2 tablespoons ketchup. Add more seasoning if desired.
- Warm the tortillas. (See How to Warm Tortillas for more.)
- To serve, add lentils to a warmed tortilla and top with lettuce, tomatoes, shredded cheese, salsa, and sour cream. Fold and enjoy!
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: lentil tacos, vegetarian Mexican recipe