These zesty steamed green beans are the epitome of an easy side dish! This healthy recipe rounds out just about any dinner.
- 1 pound fresh green beans*
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus zest from 1 lemon (1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Trim the green beans. Zest the lemon, then juice it.
- Place 1 1/2 cups water into a saucepan or pot. If using a steamer basket without a handle, add it to the pot now: the water surface should be right under the basket. Bring the water to a boil.
- Once boiling, add the green beans (in the steamer basket, if it has a handle). Steam with the lid on 4 to 5 minutes until just tender, testing with a fork to assess whether it’s done.
- Carefully remove the beans to a bowl. Toss with the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, kosher salt, and plenty of fresh ground black pepper.
*This recipe is easily doubled to feed a crowd.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Steamed Green Beans