This lemon blueberry bread recipe is perfection! It’s moist and zesty, studded with fruit and topped with a sweet drizzle.
- 2 cups (280 g) all-purpose flour, plus 1 teaspoon
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar, plus more for topping
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup neutral oil (grapeseed, vegetable or canola)
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (zest from 1 large lemon)
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 ½ cups fresh blueberries*, rinsed and patted dry (or substitute frozen, not thawed), plus 1 handful extra for the top
- 1 recipe Cream Cheese Glaze or Lemon Glaze
- Preheat: Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 9-inch aluminum loaf pan.
- Make the batter: In a large bowl, whisk the all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a separate medium bowl, whisk the eggs, then whisk in the oil, yogurt, milk, lemon juice, zest and lemon extract until smooth. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients with a spatula until a thick, smooth batter forms.
- Prep the blueberries: Wash and dry the blueberries. Place the blueberries in a bowl and toss with the 1 teaspoon flour. Gently fold them into the batter.
- Bake: Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Top with a sprinkle of another handful of blueberries, pressing them into the top. Then sprinkle with a few teaspoons of additional granulated sugar.
- Bake: Bake 55 to 65 minutes, covering loosely with aluminum foil at 30 minutes, until the top springs back when touched and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. The exact timing will depend on your oven and baking pan.
- Cool: Cool the bread in the pan for 30 minutes. Then run a knife around the edge and invert the loaf onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool fully to room temperature (about 30 minutes to 1 hour).
- Add glaze: Mix the ingredients in a small bowl until it comes together into a smooth icing (if it is too runny add a bit more powdered sugar; if it’s too thick add a few drops more liquid). Use a fork to drizzle the top of the bread with the icing.
- Storage info: The bread lasts 3 to 4 days at room temperature wrapped in aluminum foil or refrigerated for 10 days wrapped in foil (bring to room temperature before enjoying). You can also freeze un-iced bread for up to 3 months (slice it into pieces and wrap it in plastic wrap then a freezer-safe bag or container).
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Baked
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Lemon blueberry bread, blueberry lemon bread, lemon blueberry bread recipe