Lasagna roll ups are a unique way to serve this iconic dish! Roll the noodles around the filling for tasty and fun dinner recipe.
- 12 lasagna noodles (10 ounces)
- 28-ounce can fire roasted crushed tomatoes*
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 10 ounces frozen spinach
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups whole milk mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 egg
- Chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Boil the noodles: Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil. Boil the noodles until just al dente, according to the package instructions, stirring often. Drain the noodles, then drizzle a baking sheet with a bit of olive oil. Lay the noodles flat onto the sheet, then turn them over so they become coated with olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Meanwhile, make the tomato sauce: In a medium bowl, mix the fire roasted tomatoes, grated garlic, olive oil, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, and 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Mix well until all the olive oil is incorporated.
- Make the filling: Thaw the spinach following the package instructions, then squeeze out as much water as possible with your fingers (the spinach should feel dry and crumbly before using it). In a medium bowl, mix it with the basil, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, lemon zest, egg, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper.
- Roll the noodles: Spread half the tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch pan. On a baking sheet, place 4 noodles. Spread 1/4 cup cheese mixture down each noodle, then top with a bit of tomato sauce (see the photos). Gently roll up each noodle, then place it into the pan. Repeat for each of the noodles.
- Finish the pan: Once all noodles are rolled, pour the remaining tomato sauce on top, and sprinkle the remaining 1 1/2 cups mozzarella on top.
- Bake: Cover the pan with foil (so it’s not touching the cheese) and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover the foil and bake for 10 minutes. If desired, broil 2 minutes until the cheese is browned. Garnish with chopped parsley or basil and serve. Leftovers last refrigerated for 4 days; reheat in a 375°F oven until warmed through. You can also freeze leftovers for up to 3 months.
*If desired, you can use purchased marinara sauce instead of making your own, or make your favorite lasagna sauce with meat. If using purchased marinara, still add the 1 clove grated garlic and 1 teaspoon dried oregano to enhance the flavor.
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian inspired
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Lasagna roll ups, lasagna roll ups recipe