There’s nothing better than a great kale Caesar salad! This one is tossed with creamy dressing and showered in crunchy breadcrumbs.
For the salad
- 2 bunches Tuscan kale
- 1/4 cup Italian panko (gluten-free as necessary)*
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese shavings
For the Caesar dressing (makes 1 cup; use 1/2 cup), or substitute vegan Caesar
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced or grated
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste or Worcestershire sauce (or omit)
- 1 ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Chop the kale into bite-sized pieces and place it in a bowl. Sprinkle the kale with a very small drizzle of olive oil. Massage the leaves with your fingers for 2 to 3 minutes until the pieces are tender and softened.
- Whisk together all the ingredients in a bowl. Store leftovers refrigerated in a covered jar for up to 1 week.
- Drizzle the kale with about 1/2 cup of the dressing and mix to combine. Add the Parmesan cheese shavings. Place the kale on a large platter or small serving plates. Sprinkle with panko and serve.
*Panko is a Japanese-style breadcrumb mixture that is airier and lighter than traditional breadcrumbs. “Italian” means herbs and salt are added. You should be able to find Italian panko or plain panko easily at your local grocery store (often they also sell gluten-free). If all you have is plain panko, you can season it: mix ½ cup panko with ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt and ½ tablespoon Italian seasoning (or 1 teaspoon dried oregano and ¼ teaspoon each dried basil and thyme).
- Category: Salad
- Method: No cook
- Cuisine: Salad
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Kale caesar salad