This jackfruit BBQ sandwich tastes just like pulled pork, nestled on a bun with tangy coleslaw! Your friends and family won’t believe it’s vegan.
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups organic ketchup
- 1/2 cup scotch, bourbon, or other whiskey (or water for alcohol-free)
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 2 15-ounce cans green jackfruit in water or brine (here’s something similar to what we used)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 recipe Easy Vinegar Coleslaw or Best Creamy Coleslaw
- 6 buns or ciabatta rolls
- Finely chop the onion. Mince the garlic.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the ketchup, whiskey, vinegar, soy sauce, onion, garlic, chili powder, and paprika over medium heat. Cook at a steady simmer, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften and the sauce thickens slightly, about 15 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper if necessary. (Use right away or cool, cover and refrigerate for up to a week.)
- Rinse and drain the jackfruit in a colander, pressing down to extract as much water as possible. Run your hands through the pieces, pulling and separating them into shreds with your fingers.
- Place the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When it’s hot, add the jackfruit and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp in places, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the sauce and bring to a boil, then adjust the heat so the mixture bubbles gently. Cook, stirring once in a while, until the sauce has thickened and the jackfruit has absorbed some of the flavor, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the Easy Vinegar Coleslaw or Best Creamy Coleslaw.
- When you’re ready to eat, slice the buns or rolls. Divide the jackfruit among the rolls, top with the slaw and the top of the roll, and serve.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Jackfruit BBQ, What is jackfruit, Jackfruit pulled pork, Canned jackfruit, Pulled jackfruit