Here’s how to make Instant Pot soft boiled eggs! It takes 10 minutes total and the pressure cooker method couldn’t be easier.
- 6 eggs (or any number that fits in the pot without touching)
- 2 cups water
- Add the eggs: Place the stainless steel trivet into a 6-quart Instant Pot, then place the eggs on top. Add 2 cups water. Lock the lid of the Instant Pot. Place the pressure release handle (vent) in the “Sealing” position.
- Cook on Low pressure 3 minutes*: Press the Pressure Cook button and select “Low” pressure, and set the time. It takes about 6 minutes for the pot to “preheat” and come up to pressure before it starts cooking. (Note: During cooking, avoid touching the metal part of the lid.)
- Prepare an ice bath: Fill a large bowl with cold water and ice cubes.
- Quick release: When the cooking is done, vent the remaining steam from the Instant Pot by moving the pressure release handle to “Venting”, covering your hand with a towel or hot pad. Never put your hands or face near the vent when releasing steam. Open the pressure cooker lid.
- Remove the eggs: Carefully remove the hot eggs with tongs or a slotted spoon. Place them into the ice bath for about 2 minutes until they are cool.
- Peel: Peel the eggs by lightly tapping the bottom end (larger end that has the air bubble). When the shell crushes, gently peel off the shell in pieces. Slice in half and serve.
*You may need an extra minute or so at high altitude; refer to your Instant Pot manual for the conversion factors, or use trial and error to find the right timing. This recipe was tested with a 6-quart Instant Pot-brand pressure cooker; we cannot speak to the timing with other pressure cooker sizes and brands.
- Category: Essentials
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Eggs
Keywords: Instant Pot Soft Boiled Eggs