Instant Pot refried beans are a quick way to make them from scratch, without the hours of soaking! They’re irresistibly tasty: and healthy too!
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 cups dried pinto beans
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons butter (or olive oil for vegan)
- Finely chop the onion. Mince the garlic. Remove the pith and seeds from the jalapeño pepper, then finely chop it.
- In the Instant Pot, place the onion, garlic, jalapeño pepper, cumin, chili powder, pinto beans, water and kosher salt, and give them a stir. Lock the lid and place the vent in the “Sealing” position.
- Cook on high pressure for 60 minutes: Press the Pressure Cook button (making sure the “High Pressure” setting is selected) and set the time for 60 minutes. Wait while the Instant Pot cooks. (Note: It takes about 5 to 10 minutes for the pot to “preheat” and come up to pressure before it starts cooking. During cooking, avoid touching the metal part of the lid.)
- Quick release: Vent the remaining steam from the Instant Pot by moving the pressure release handle to “Venting”, covering your hand with a towel or hot pad. Never put your hands or face near the vent when releasing steam. Open the pressure cooker lid.
- Melt the butter in large saucepan or skillet. Add the cooked beans and their liquid. Cook for 5 minutes until they thicken, stirring occasionally. Then mash with a wooden spoon or potato masher until the desired texture is reached. Remove from the heat and serve.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Instant Pot refried beans, Refried beans, Pressure cooker, Instant pot