This Instant Pot hummus is super creamy and easy to make from scratch using a pressure cooker! You’ll be hooked on the flavor.
For the chickpeas
- 1 cup dry chickpeas*
- 6 cups water
- 1 pinch salt
For the Instant Pot hummus
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice (2 medium lemons)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Water, as needed
- Night before (recommended): Place the chickpeas in the Instant Pot and cover with the water. Soak 10 to 12 hours, then drain. This makes for the best results.
- Cook the chickpeas: Place the chickpeas in the Instant Pot, cover with 2 inches water, and add the kosher salt. Lock the lid and place the vent in the “Sealing” position. (If you want to cook 1 pound chickpeas at once, go to Instant Pot Chickpeas instead!)
- Cook on high pressure 22 minutes (soaked) or 35 minutes (unsoaked): Note that it takes about 10 minutes for the pot to “preheat” and come up to pressure before it starts cooking. Wait while the Instant Pot cooks. (During cooking, avoid touching the metal part of the lid.)
- Natural release for 20 minutes: After the Instant Pot beeps, wait for another 20 minutes to let the Instant Pot naturally release pressure. (Tip: We set a timer for this part so we don’t forget!) After 20 minutes, vent any remaining steam by moving the vent to “Venting”, covering your hand with a towel or hot pad. Never put your hands or face near the vent when releasing steam. (The pressure indicator in the lid may drop on its own after 10 minutes, meaning that there is no remaining steam in the pot.)
- In the bowl of a food processor, add 2 cups of the cooked chickpeas. (You’ll have a few left over, which you can use for another recipe.) Add the garlic, tahini, lemon juice, coriander, and 1 teaspoon salt. Pulse until smooth, scraping the bowl occasionally.
- Turn on the processor and pour in the olive oil until a smooth paste forms, then add water to get to a creamy consistency (we added a little over 1/2 cup for unsoaked chickpeas, but it will be less for soaked chickpeas). Process for 3 to 4 minutes until super creamy and smooth. Taste and add additional salt as needed. Store refrigerated for up to 4 to 5 days.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Pressure Cooker
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Instant Pot hummus, hummus instant pot