Here’s an Instant Pot green bean casserole from scratch: fresh green beans, real mushrooms, and a crumbled potato chip topping!
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms*
- 1 large shallot
- 2 pounds green beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup gourmet potato chips, sour cream and onion flavor**
- Finely chop the mushrooms. Mince the shallot. Trim the green beans.
- Turn on Saute mode and add the olive oil to the Instant Pot. When it is heated, add the mushroom and shallot and saute for 6 minutes until tender. Then add green beans and 1/2 cup water. Lock the lid of the Instant Pot. Place the pressure release handle (vent) in the “Sealing” position.
- Cook on High Pressure for 1 minute: Press the Pressure Cook button, making sure the “High Pressure” setting is selected, and set the time. Note that it takes about 5 minutes for the pot to “preheat” and come up to pressure before it starts cooking. (During cooking, avoid touching the metal part of the lid.)
- Quick release: Vent the remaining steam from the Instant Pot by moving the pressure release handle to “Venting”, covering your hand with a towel or hot pad. Never put your hands or face near the vent when releasing steam. Open the pressure cooker lid.
- Stir in cornstarch until coated. Add the cream, Parmesan cheese, grated garlic, thyme, sage, garlic powder, and kosher salt. Turn on Saute mode again and cook 1 minute until thickened and bubbly. Taste and add more salt as desired.
- Remove the bean mixture to a serving dish, 9 x 9 baking dish or medium casserole dish. Serve topped with crushed potato chips.
*This quantity makes enough for a 9 x 9 size baking dish or casserole dish equivalent. If you’d like a larger amount for Thanksgiving or to feed a huge crowd, you can double and fit into a 9 x 13 size baking dish.
**Of course if you must, feel free to substitute the traditional french fried onions! We won’t judge.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Holiday
Keywords: Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole