Bulgur wheat is a nutritious ancient whole wheat grain, and guess what? You can cook it in a pressure cooker. Here’s how to make Instant Pot bulgur.
- 1 cup fine- or medium-grind bulgur wheat*
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Add the bulgur wheat, water, and salt to the Instant Pot and stir. Lock the lid of the Instant Pot. Place the pressure release handle (vent) in the “Sealing” position.
- Cook on low pressure for 12 minutes: Press the Pressure Cook button, making sure the “Low Pressure” setting is selected, and set the time. Note that it takes about 5 minutes for the pot to “preheat” and come up to pressure before it starts cooking. (During cooking, avoid touching the metal part of the lid.)
- Quick release: Vent the remaining steam from the Instant Pot by moving the pressure release handle to “Venting”, covering your hand with a towel or hot pad. Never put your hands or face near the vent when releasing steam. Open the pressure cooker lid.
- Open the lid and fluff with a fork. Serve immediately, or store in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
*Avoid coarse or extra-coarse bulgur, since the cooking instructions are different.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Instant Pot Bulgur, Bulgur Wheat, Bulgur Wheat Recipe, How to Cook Bulgur Wheat