A hummus sandwich is the best healthy easy lunch idea! This plant based recipe takes just a few minutes to make with colorful crunchy veggies.
- 1/4 medium cucumber
- 1 small tomato
- 1/4 small red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped jarred pickled vegetables (we used pickled cauliflower and carrots)
- 1 cup hummus
- 2 slices provolone cheese, optional (omit for vegan)
- 4 slices bread
- Microgreens or sprouts, optional
- Other optional toppings: avocado slices, roasted red pepper, lettuce, feta or goat cheese crumbles, fresh herbs, etc.
- Chop the veggies: Peel and slice the cucumber (or peel alternating strips as we did here). Thinly slice the tomato. Slice the red onion. Chop the pickled vegetables.
- Toast the bread: If desired, toast the bread.
- Remove excess moisture: Meanwhile, place the chopped pickles in a paper towel or clean dish towel and squeeze out any extra water. Place the tomatoes on a paper towel or towel and blot them to remove excess moisture.
- Build the sandwich: Place the cucumber slices on the bottom of the sandwich to act as a moisture barrier. Top with a layer of hummus. Add the cheese (optional), pickled vegetables, red onion, tomato, and microgreens or sprouts (if using). Spread the remaining hummus on the top slice of bread and place it on top. Note: This sandwich is best made right before eating. If you’re bringing it outside the house like to work, we recommend chopping the components in advance, then building the sandwich right before you eat it. To make it in advance, you could make it as a wrap.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Sandwich
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Hummus sandwich