Wondering the easy way to make lime zest to add tangy flavor to recipes? Here are the BEST methods for how to zest a lime. Note: This method yields fine zest for using in recipes (not cocktail garnishes). **Want to zest a lime for a cocktail garnish? Go to How to Make a Lemon Twist.
- 1 lime
- 1 coarse microplane, fine grater, or vegetable peeler
- Wash the lime and dry it. Then use one of the zesting methods below:
- Microplane: Hold the microplane in one hand, place one end on a flat surface and hold it at an angle. Hold the lime in the other hand, and drag it down over the microplane holes. Remove the colored part of the skin only (not the pith). Gradually turn the lime until all sides are zested.
- Fine grater: Do the same as the microplane, using the finest holes on your box grater.
- Peeler: Use a vegetable peeler to carefully peel off large pieces of the colored part of the skin only, dragging from the top to the bottom (not the pith). Then use a knife to mince the peel into very small pieces.
- Category: Essentials
- Method: Zested
- Cuisine: Citrus
Keywords: How to zest a lime