Here’s how to make coffee without a coffee maker! Use this method when you don’t have access to coffee making tools.
- 3 tablespoons ground coffee (medium coarse ground)
- 1 pinch salt (optional but recommended to reduce bitterness)
- ¾ cup (6 ounces) boiling water
*Alternative method: You can also make Cold Brew Coffee without a coffee maker. Head to that post for instructions.
- Boil the water.
- Add the coffee and salt to a small pot, jar, or coffee mug (if not straining; see step 2). Add enough boiling water to just wet the grounds and let sit for 30 seconds. After 30 seconds, fill the mug with boiling water and stir.
- Wait 4 minutes.
- Strain out the grounds: If you don’t have a strainer, dribble a bit of cold water across the top of the hot coffee, which makes the grounds sink to the bottom*. But this works best with a strainer (or a clean sock!): use it to strain the coffee into a mug. Enjoy immediately.
*In our experience, the cold water trick doesn’t work effectively: you end up with a crunchy sip!
- Category: Drink
- Method: Boiled
- Cuisine: Coffee
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: How to make coffee without a coffee maker