Here’s how to dry basil using a quick and easy method! It’s great for if you’ve got loads of fresh garden basil and want to preserve it. Tip: The best way to preserve basil? Make pesto and freeze it.
- Fresh basil
- Wash and dry the basil leaves. Remove them from the stem. Place as many as fit on a single layer between paper towels on a plate.
- Microwave on High for 45 seconds.
- Remove the plate, spread out the leaves in a single layer. Microwave again for another 30 seconds.
- Microwave again on high for one more 30 second interval. At this point the leaves should be shriveled and mostly dry. If not, continue to cook at 10 second intervals until they are.
- Cool completely to allow to become perfectly crisp: the leaves will crisp more as they cool. Then crumble it with your fingers to use in recipes.
- Category: Spices
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: Herbs
Keywords: How to dry basil