Wondering how to cut fennel? Here’s a step by step guide and video that shows you exactly how to cut a fennel bulb (how to dice fennel).
- 1 fennel bulb
- Using a large chef’s knife, cut off the fennel fronds. (You can use the wispy portions as a garnish if you’d like.)
- Cut off the root end of the fennel.
- Remove any tough outer layers of the fennel and discard them.
- Slice down the center of the fennel bulb.
- To slice the fennel, place the fennel on its cut side and cut thin half-moon slices parallel to the root end using a circular motion. OR…
- To dice the fennel, cut slices parallel to the root end, leaving room at the end so that the slices stay attached. (Make the slices wider for diced and narrower for minced.) Then rotate the fennel and cut slices in the other direction, following the curve of the fennel. When you’ve cut halfway through, flip the fennel down onto the flat cut side and continue slicing. When you get to the end that didn’t have the slices, give it a few more chops. See the video for this part!
- Category: Knife Skills
- Method: Cutting
- Cuisine: N/A
Keywords: How to cut fennel, How to cut a fennel bulb, Cutting fennel