Wondering how to cut an onion? Here’s a step by step guide and video that shows you how to dice and how to chop an onion.
- 1 medium onion
- With a large chef’s knife, cut off the top and root end of the onion.
- Stand the onion on the flat cut side, and cut it down the center.
- With your fingers, remove the paper and outer layer of the onion.
- Place the onion half on its flat side, then cut slices parallel to the root end, leaving room at the end so that the slices stay attached. (Make the slices the size you’ll need for the recipe; wider for diced and narrower for minced / small diced.)
- Cut slices in the other direction, following the curve of the onion (making larger squares for diced and smaller for minced / small diced). When you’ve cut halfway through, flip the onion down onto the flat cut side and continue slicing. When you get to the end that didn’t have the slices, give it a few more chops. See the video for this part!
- Category: Knife Skills
- Method: Cutting
- Cuisine: N/A
Keywords: How to cut an onion, How to chop an onion, How to dice an onion, How to not cry when cutting onions