Want to avoid mushy, crunchy, or overcooked rice? You’re in luck: here’s a no-fail method of how to cook white rice that works every time.
- 1 cup long or short grain white rice
- 6 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Rinse the rice: Using a strainer, rinse the rice under cold water, then drain it completely.
- In a saucepan over high heat, bring the water to a boil. Add the rice, stir once, and continue to boil uncovered for 9 to 12 minutes, bubbling rapidly. Taste a grain of rice; if it is tender, remove the pan from the heat, then pour the rice into the strainer.
- Return the rice to the pot (without the heat). Cover the pot and allow the rice to steam for 5 minutes. Uncover and fluff the rice with a fork. Stir in the kosher salt.
- Optional: Spice it up by stirring in 1 tablespoon butter, 2 tablespoons chopped thyme or oregano, and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder.
- Category: Essentials
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Basics
Keywords: How to Cook White Rice, White Rice Recipe,