Here’s how to cook chickpeas in an Instant Pot or pressure cooker — it’s a simple and quick method for cooking dried beans in less than 1 hour!
- 1 pound dry chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Place the chickpeas into Instant Pot and cover with water by 1 inch (about 6 cups). Add the kosher salt. Lock the lid. Place the pressure release handle (vent) in the “Sealing” position.
- Cook on high pressure 22 minutes: Press the Pressure Cook button, making sure the “High Pressure” setting is selected, and set the time for 22 minutes. It takes about 10 minutes for the pot to “preheat” and come up to pressure before it starts cooking. Wait while the Instant Pot cooks. (Note: During cooking, avoid touching the metal part of the lid.)
- Natural release for 20 minutes: After the Instant Pot beeps, wait for another 20 minutes to let the Instant Pot naturally release pressure. (Tip: We set a timer for this part so we don’t forget!) After 20 minutes, vent any remaining steam by moving the vent to “Venting”, covering your hand with a towel or hot pad. Never put your hands or face near the vent when releasing steam. (The pressure indicator in the lid may drop on its own after 10 minutes, meaning that there is no remaining steam in the pot.)
- Open the lid and taste one chickpea to see if it is tender. Some chickpea brands and pressure cooker brands have require longer cook times. If it’s not tender, cook 10 more minutes on high pressure and do a quick release. Once cooked, drain and use immediately, store in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days, or freeze indefinitely. We freeze the drained chickpeas in sealable containers in 1.5 cup servings, which equals 1 15-ounce can.
IMPORTANT: Read and abide by all safety precautions in your Instant Pot / pressure cooker manual.
- Category: Main Dish, Side Dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot, Instant Pot Recipes, Pressure Cooker, Pressure Cooker Recipes, Chickpeas, How to Cook Chickpeas, Pressure Cooking, Dried Chickpeas, Garbanzo Beans