Wondering how to cook bulgur wheat? This ancient whole grain is fast and easy to cook, and it’s perfect in salads, grain bowls, and as a simple side dish.
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup fine- or medium-grind bulgur wheat*
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Boil the water (we use our electric tea kettle).
- In a heatproof bowl, add the bulgur wheat and stir in the kosher salt and boiling water. (Optional: Spice it up by stirring in 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon dried oregano.)
- Cover and allow to sit until tender: about 7 minutes for fine-grind and 15 minutes for medium-grind bulgur.
*Coarse or extra-coarse bulgur have different cooking instructions. Place 1 cup coarse or extra-coarse bulgur in a saucepan with 2 1/4 cups water. Bring the water to a boil, then add bulgur, stir, and cover. Cook for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Drain excess water.
- Category: Whole Grain
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: How to Cook Bulgur, How to Cook Bulgur Wheat