Here’s how to cook broccoli: all the best ways! This healthy veggie is delicious when cooked perfectly, whether sauteed, steamed or roasted.
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh broccoli, stem on (about 3 large heads or 6 heaping cups florets)*
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- Chop the broccoli into medium-sized florets, leaving a good amount of the stem for a nice shape (see the photo).
- Roasted: Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Mix the broccoli florets with 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, until tender and slightly browned (no need to stir!). When the broccoli is done, remove the pan from the oven. Grate 1 clove garlic onto the pan, and add 1 tablespoon olive oil and 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Use a spoon to gently toss it all together (separating any grated garlic that clumps together).
- Steamed: Place 1 1/2 cups water into a saucepan or pot. If using a steamer basket without a handle, add it to the pot now: the water surface should be right under the basket. Bring the water to a boil. Once boiling, add the broccoli (in the steamer basket, if it has a handle). Steam with the lid on 3 to 4 minutes until just tender, testing with a fork to assess whether it’s done. If you’d like it more tender, cook 1 minute more. Carefully remove to a bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Sauteed: In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the broccoli florets and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally (the broccoli will lightly brown in parts). Stir in 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder (optional) and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more, until crisp tender but still bright green. Taste and add a few pinches of salt and fresh ground pepper. Remove the broccoli to a bowl and serve immediately. Sprinkle with lemon zest (optional).
- Grilled: Preheat a grill to medium-high heat (375 to 450 degrees). Wash the broccoli and pat it dry with a towel. Chop it into large florets with long stems so they are easy to turn on the grill. In a bowl, mix the broccoli with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and plenty of fresh ground black pepper. Place the broccoli directly on the grill grates and grill for about 6 to 8 minutes until charred and tender, turning once. Remove from the grill and spritz with lemon juice from wedges from 1/2 of the lemon. Taste and add a few more pinches of kosher salt, if needed.
- Instant Pot: Add the broccoli and 1/2 cup water to the Instant Pot. Cook on High Pressure for 0 minutes. Note that it takes about 5 minutes for the pot to “preheat” and come up to pressure. (Avoid touching the metal part of the lid.) Quick release by moving the pressure release handle to “Venting”, covering your hand with a towel or hot pad. Carefully remove the broccoli to a bowl. Toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Various
- Cuisine: Vegetables
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: How to Cook Broccoli