Here’s how to cook asparagus so that it’s full of flavor! It’s easy to cook roasted, sauteed and steamed: then spritz with lemon and serve.
- 1 pound asparagus
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lemon
- Shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Wash and dry the asparagus. Cut off the tough bottom ends of the stalks.
- Roasted: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Add the whole asparagus stalks to a foil-lined baking sheet. Drizzle them with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and add 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Add the zest of 1/2 lemon and mix with your hands. Thinly slice 4 lemon wheels from the lemon, then add them right on the tray. Sprinkle everything with Parmesan cheese (optional). Bake 10 to 15 minutes, until tender when pierced by a fork at the thickest part. The timing will depend on the thickness of the asparagus spears.
- Sauteede: Cut the stalks into bite-sized pieces. In large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Add the asparagus, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the largest pieces are tender, about 5 to 8 minutes. Taste and remove when it’s just tender and still bright green, but not crunchy. When the asparagus is done, remove from heat and stir in 1 teaspoon lemon juice plus the zest of 1/2 lemon. Add optional Parmesan if desired.
- Grilled: Preheat a grill to medium-high heat (375 to 450 degrees). In a bowl, mix the asparagus with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and plenty of fresh ground black pepper. Place the asparagus directly on the grill grates and grill for about 3 to 4 minutes until charred and tender, turning once. Remove from the grill and spritz with lemon juice from wedges from 1/2 of the lemon.
- Steamed: Cut the stalks into 2-inch pieces. Add water to a pot so that the surface is right under the steamer basket. Add the steamer basket and bring the water to a boil. Once boiling, add the asparagus. Steam with the lid on for about 2 to 5 minutes until crisp tender and the thickest portion, taste testing with a fork to assess doneness. Carefully remove the asparagus to a bowl, draining away any water. Toss with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Various
- Cuisine: Vegetables
Keywords: How to cook asparagus