These hot chocolate cookies taste just like the cozy drink, with a rich chocolate flavor and gooey marshmallow center. They’re divine!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch process (dark chocolate) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, plus more for rolling
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounce dark chocolate bar, chopped into chunks
- 15 large marshmallows, cut in half
- Preheat: Preheat 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the dry ingredients: Stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and kosher salt.
- Mix the dough: In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, cream the sugar and room temperature butter on medium speed for 4 to 5 minutes until fluffy. Reduce the speed to low and mix in the vanilla and eggs. Once incorporated, add the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chunks.
- Form the cookies: Prepare a plate with a layer of granulated sugar. Pull out 2 tablespoons of dough. Flatten it into a disc, then place a half marshmallow on top and wrap the dough around the marshmallow. Roll the ball in the plate of sugar. Repeat until you make 8 cookies.
- Prep for baking: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add 8 cookies to a pan and stagger them so they have as much space as possible around them. You can bake the first batch immediately (go to Step 6). While the first pan is baking, form the other 22 balls and place them on a baking sheet in the refrigerator. It is important to chill the unbaked cookies because if they’re are too warm, the texture is off (you can also chill the dough and form the balls right before baking).
- Bake: Bake one pan at a time on the center rack for 12 to 14 minutes until the marshmallows are melted*. Store for 3 days at room temperature, 1 week refrigerated, or several months frozen.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Cookies
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Hot chocolate cookies