Who loves dessert in a jar? This deliciously simple apple crisp recipe is sweetened with honey and the apples are sweetened with fresh ginger.
For the apple filling
- 4 apples (around 4½ cups)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (minced)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ⅓ cup honey
- 4 half-pint canning jars or ramekins
For the apple crisp topping
- ¾ cup old fashioned oats
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- ⅓ cup whole wheat flour
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted or very soft
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Peel, core, and slice 4 apples into small pieces. Peel and mince or grate the ginger. In a large saute pan, mix together the apples, ginger, cinnamon and kosher salt. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and honey. Saute until softened, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together the oats, almonds, whole wheat flour, kosher salt, honey, and butter.
- Divide the fruit mixture into 4 half-pint canning jars or ramekins. Spread the crumble over each jar, pressing down on the crumbs to ensure that none are above the mouth of the jar.
- Place the jars on a baking sheet and bake 15 minutes until top is brown. Cool for 10 minutes and enjoy.
Using fresh ginger root gives the recipe a delicious complexity; you can omit it if necessary, but it will miss some of the flair. Note that ground dried ginger does not substitute for fresh ginger.
Also note that any small dish or ramekin works for baking instead of using canning jars.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Simple Apple Crisp, Dessert in a Jar, Healthy Dessert, Dessert, Apple Dessert, Apple Crumble, Honey, Oats, Apple Recipes