Here’s the very best homemade hot chocolate recipe: full of rich chocolaty flavor and easy to whip up in 5 minutes. Never buy the mix again!
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 cups 2% milk (or oat milk)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (1 1/2 ounces) semisweet or dark chocolate chips*
- Place a saucepan over medium heat. Add the cocoa powder and 1/4 cup of the milk and whisk until the cocoa powder is mostly integrated. Whisk in the remaining milk until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and heat over medium heat until the chocolate is melted, about 2 minutes. Do not boil. Serve immediately, garnished with whipped cream or marshmallows.
*You can omit for a great cup of hot cocoa with a lighter flavor (and less calories). But the chocolate really adds richness in flavor. We highly recommend it!
- Category: Drink
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Hot chocolate, Hot chocolate recipe, Homemade hot chocolate, Hot cocoa