Step up your snacks or parties with this homemade crackers recipe! This crispy flatbread style cracker is full of flavor, and all natural with no additives.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (or substitute all purpose flour)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning*
- 1 teaspoon black or white sesame seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt + more for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup (or honey)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a food processor, pulse the whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, Italian seasoning, sesame seeds, garlic powder, black pepper, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt. (Alternatively, you can stir these ingredients together in a bowl.)
- In a liquid measuring cup, stir together the olive oil, water and maple syrup. Then turn on the food processor and slowly drizzle in the liquids (through the hole in the lid) while the motor is running until a ball forms. You may have a little water left over; or, add a drizzle of water if necessary. (Alternatively, pour in the liquid ingredients and stir until a very sticky dough forms.)
- Divide the dough into two dough balls. Place them on the counter, cover with a towel, and rest 10 minutes.
- Lightly flour a clean countertop. Take one dough ball and use a rolling pin to roll out a thin rectangle, approximately 10 inches by 14 inches (the thinner the crispier!). Sprinkle more kosher salt evenly on top and roll over it several more times to incorporate it into the top. Transfer the dough to a sheet of parchment on your countertop. Cut with a roller to make squares about 1 1/2 inches on each side. Transfer the parchment paper to a baking sheet. Do the same with the other sheet of dough.
- Place the baking sheets in the oven and bake for 6 minutes, then rotate the pans (and switch oven racks) and bake about 8 to 10 minutes more until lightly browned. The crackers on the edges may get a little darker depending on how even your oven is. Cool for several minutes before eating; the crackers will become crispier as they cool.
- Storage: Store the crackers in a sealable container for up to 1 week, but leave the lid ajar / loose. This keeps the crackers crispy! If you’d like them crispier after a few days, bake at 225 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes.
*If you don’t have Italian seasoning, you can use 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano and 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil.
- Category: Snack
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Crackers Recipe, Homemade Crackers