These strawberry rhubarb muffins are a healthy muffin recipe, featuring sweet strawberries and tangy rhubarb in a naturally sweet whole grain muffin.
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup rhubarb (2 large stalks)
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- ½ cup chopped hazelnuts (toasted if possible)
- ½ teaspoon grated or minced ginger root
- 2 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup milk
- ⅔ cup plain yogurt
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- ⅔ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease two standard size muffin tins.
- Mash the banana. Wash and chop the rhubarb and strawberries. Chop the hazelnuts (toast them in a dry skillet for a few minutes until lightly browned if time allows). Grate or mince the ginger.
- In a large bowl, combine the wheat bran, oat bran, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and kosher salt. In a smaller bowl, combine the eggs, milk, yogurt, melted butter, honey, and vanilla; mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients (including banana) into the dry ingredients and mix with a spatula until just combined. Add the strawberries, rhubarb, nuts, and ginger and stir to combine.
- Fill the muffin cups with batter. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the muffins in the pan for a few minutes, then remove them and serve warm or cool fully on a wire rack.
Adapted from Farm Girl Fare
- Category: Muffins
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins, Muffins, Muffin Recipes, Strawberry Recipes, Mother's Day Recipes, Mother's Day Brunch, Spring Brunch