These healthy banana muffins have no flour: just rolled oats! The recipe is easy to make in a blender and comes out irresistibly tasty.
- 3 large very ripe bananas (1 1/2 cups mashed)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups rolled oats, plus more for topping
- 1/4 cup neutral oil (sunflower, vegetable or grapeseed)**
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Place all ingredients in a blender, breaking the bananas into pieces as you add them. Blend everything on high for a minute or two until a smooth batter forms.
- Place 8 to 9 muffin cups into a muffin tin and pour the batter divided evenly between the cups; the amount of muffins will depend on the size of the bananas and type of oats*. Sprinkle the tops with extra oats and gently press them down.
- Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes* until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the muffin tin and allow them to cool a few minutes before serving. Store refrigerated or frozen.
*Note: The amount of muffins can depend on the size of the bananas and the type of oats. When we used sprouted rolled oats, we noticed the batter came out much thicker and only made 8 muffins. With large bananas and rolled oats, we got 9 muffins. We’ve had others get more than 9, anything up to 12; if so, bake for about 25 to 30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
**One reader has tested these banana bread muffins with 1/4 cup applesauce in place of the oil: she said both versions were good! The apple sauce version was nice and moist, dense but a bit flat. The oil version was great, lighter and a bit more dry.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Banana bread muffins, Healthy banana muffins, Banana oatmeal muffins, How to make banana muffins, Blender muffins, How long to bake banana bread muffins