This fruity Halloween punch looks spooky and impressive! It works for kids, or you can spike it for an alcoholic spin.
- 64 ounces cranberry 100% juice blend (with grape, apple, and pear)*
- 64 ounces apple juice or apple cider
- 2 liters ginger ale (or 1 liter ginger ale and 1 750 ml bottle aged rum**)
- 2 4-inch to 5-inch chunks dry ice*** (optional)
- Punch bowl and glasses
- Other garnish ideas: candy eyeballs, plastic spiders, gummy worms, etc.
- Make the punch: Chill the ingredients prior to serving. Add all ingredients to a punch bowl and stir. Garnish with dry ice (instructions below) or any of the optional garnishes. For the alcoholic punch variation, you can add the entire bottle of rum or make the spiked servings to order so the bowl works for kids and adults. Ladle out a 1 cup (8 ounce) serving of punch and add 1 to 2 ounces rum.
- Break the dry ice into 4-inch chunks (if using): Do this as close to the time you’ll be serving the drinks as possible, though you can buy the dry ice a few hours in advance. Start by dropping the plastic bag with the dry ice on the ground several times to allow it break into large chunks. Remember never to touch the dry ice with your bare hands! Put on goggles and gloves. Use a chisel to break the dry ice into smaller pieces using a screwdriver or ice pick. The ideal size is 4-inch to 5-inch chunks. Wrap the small chunks in a towel and place them in a cooler with the top off until you’re ready to serve the drinks. Do not place the dry ice in the freezer.
- Add the dry ice: Using tongs (do not touch the dry ice!), add 2 of the 4 to 5-inch chunks of dry ice to the punch bowl, which will sink to the bottom and immediately make a smoking effect. The smoking will last 5 to 10 minutes. Do not drink the dry ice! For kids, ladle out punch by skimming off the top. If you’d like you can ladle out a small chunk of dry ice into a glass for adults, but wait until the cube disappears before enjoying your drink (or you can take sips with the dry ice in the bottom). Review these Dry Ice Handling instructions.
*This blend of juices is available at most grocery stores: make sure it is 100% juice and not sweetened.
**Or, substitute white rum or dark rum. Bourbon or vodka also work, but rum works is best flavor-wise.
**Dry ice is available at many grocery stores and comes in a large block. Buy it a few hours before you plan to serve the drinks (it does not store in the freezer). Read more about Dry Ice Safety here and review the instructions in the post above.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Mixed
- Cuisine: Punch
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Halloween punch, Halloween alcoholic punch, Halloween punch recipes, Halloween punch for kids